Interim Guidelines for Environmental Cleaning and Disinfection of Areas Exposed to Confirmed Case(s)
of COVID-19 in Non-Healthcare Premises
This document replaces two documents released on environmental cleaning, “Interim Guidelines for Environmental Cleaning and Disinfection of Areas Exposed to Confirmed Case(s) of Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) in Non-Healthcare Premises”, released on 26 January 2020 and “Interim Guidelines for Environmental Cleaning and Disinfection of Premises with Transient Exposure to Confirmed Case(s) of COVID-19 cases” released on 12 February 2020. This document provides guidance by the Ministry of Health (MOH) and the National Environment Agency (NEA), of Singapore, to assist owners or operators of non-healthcare premises to carry out environmental cleaning, for areas exposed to confirmed case(s) of Coronavirus Diseases (COVID-19) in non-healthcare premises.
This will apply to hotels, premises and public places where a confirmed case
has stayed or has visited.
For residences exposed to the COVID-19 virus, please refer to the “Interim Guidelines for Environmental Cleaning and Disinfection in Residences that May Be Exposed to the COVID-19 Virus”.
This guidance is interim as it is based on our current knowledge of the COVID-19 virus and has been adapted from guidance documents from the Ministry of Health (MOH), Singapore and Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, United States.
General Good Practices
1. As the virus can survive on surfaces of different materials for at least 2 to 3 days, surfaces potentially contaminated with the COVID-19 virus (e.g. commonly touched surfaces, surfaces which may have been exposed to respiratory droplets such as sneezes or coughs, and floors) should be sanitised.
2. Thoroughly clean toilets, using different set of cleaning equipment (disposable cloths, mop, etc). Pay attention to the disinfectant of frequently touched area such as sinks, taps,
toilet bowls and seat covers.
3. Seek medical attention if you are feeling unwell.
Cleaning of Premises
I. Items to Prepare for Cleaning of Premises Prepare these items before you start to clean the premises:
1. Personal protective equipment (PPE) (where applicable)
*If the confirmed case has stayed or has been present for a long period of time at certain areas of the premises, or cleaning activities may generate aerosols, wear an N95 mask in place of a surgical mask, eye goggles, or face shields and disposable long sleeved gown.
2. An appropriate disinfectant with indication of effectiveness against coronaviruses, or bleach solution. Disinfectants should be prepared and applied in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendation. Please refer to the “Interim List of Household Products and Active Ingredients for Disinfection of COVID-19 Virus” for a list of disinfectants and active ingredients that are suitable for coronavirus disinfection. Note that different active ingredients require different periods of contact time between the disinfectant and the surfaces to be effective.
3. Plastic/Trash bags
5. Disposable cloths or rags