- Scorpions measure 2 to 6 inches in length.
- Scorpions are pale yellow to gold or tan (straw colored).
Most of the scorpions that enter homes are not poisonous; but if you are unsure it’s usually better to assume that they are poisonous. Of the estimated 1,400 species of scorpions, only about 20 to 25 can inflict potentially fatal stings. Scorpion stings are most serious in young children, older adults, and pets.
In the United States, scorpion stings are mostly harmless and the majority of healthy adults don’t need treatment for scorpion stings. Their stings are painful – similar to bees or wasps. A person who has been stung may feel a painful, tingling, burning or numbing sensation at the sting site. The sting usually causes discomfort that ranges from moderate to severe depending upon the individual scorpion and the person’s reaction to the venom. An ice pack applied to the affected area will relieve some pain and the symptoms should decrease over time. A person who is stung by a scorpion should be watched closely for adverse allergic reactions.
In the United States, only one species (the bark scorpion), found mainly in the desert Southwest, has venom potent enough to cause severe symptoms. Scorpion stings can pose a medical threat especially to the young, elderly, and pets. Get immediate medical care for any child stung by a scorpion. If you are experiencing any of the following serious symptoms go to the Emergency Room immediately:
- Breathing difficulties;
- Difficulty swallowing or talking;
- Extreme or persistent pain;
- Muscle twitching or thrashing;
- Numbness that spreads to entire extremity;
- Paralysis of area or extremity;
- Unusually high or low blood pressure;