Mice infestations can happen overnight, and its best to catch them while still in the beginning stages so as to minimize the damage done. Expenses for loss of contaminated personal property due to droppings and urine, electrical fires and issues due to mice gnawing on wires, and transmission of diseases are some costly examples of the negative consequences of an infestation. This being said, it is always easier to avoid the situation if possible.
Here are ten simple tips to rodent prevention:
- Repair damaged door and window screens.
- Install door sweeps on all outside doors.
- Screen vents and openings to chimneys.
- Seal up cracks and fix holes on the exterior of your home, including areas where utilities and pipes enter the home using caulk, steel wool or a combination of the two.
- Store food in sealed containers and dont let trash build up.
- Keep attics, basements and crawl spaces dry and well ventilated.
- Eliminate moisture sites, including leaky pipes and clogged drains that provide breeding sites for pests.
- Inspect items such as delivery boxes, grocery bags and other packages brought into your home.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet away from your home and keep landscaping trimmed with bushes cut back from the house.
- If you suspect a pest infestation in your home, contact a licensed pest expert to inspect and treat the pest problem.
Prevention methods such as those mentioned above, specifically maintaining a tidy, clutter and crumb-free environment, can help you avoid the problem altogether. If its already too late, a pest control company like Truly Nolen Charlotte can implement a successful and highly effective rodent control strategy, involving sanitation, rodent-proofing and population management.
Truly Nolen Charlotte also offers pest prevention programs, instead of waiting for an infestation, taking professional precautionary measures to safeguard your home before the problem starts can also give you peace of mind. Call 704-910-2936 to schedule an inspection.